The save files are text documents used by the game to save the player's progress. There is only one save slot in My Summer Car, which means that starting a new game will overwrite it unless it is backed up. The folder containing the save files can be found in the
\AppData\LocalLow\Amistech folder. Dying with permanent death enabled will erase the
Saving the gameEdit
To save the game, go to a toilet and click on its bowl. The "Quit to menu" button in the settings menu will not save the game. Dying with the permanent death setting turned off will also save the game.
There are six different save files in the save file folder, each of them have a unique task:
- defaultES2File.txt - Used for most of the player's progress: unique car parts, player attributes, weather, etc. Deleting this file will reset most of the player's progress.
- graveyard.txt - Used for the amount of times the player character has died in save games with permanent death enabled. Deleting this file will get rid of the gravestones in the graveyard.
- items.txt - Used for non-unique items such as motor oil canisters, moose meat, alternator belts, etc. Deleting this file will remove all purchased items from the save, which could be useful for increasing game performance.
- meshsave.txt - Used for Satsuma's chassis malformations. Deleting this file will remove all dents from the Satsuma.
- options.txt - Used for all of the game options, excluding key bindings. Deleting this file will reset the game settings back to default.
- trophies.txt - Used for the trophies won from the Rally Sprint Race. Deleting this file will remove all trophies from the save.
Backing up the saveEdit
Keeping a backup of the save file folder is a good idea even if the permanent death setting is turned off.
- To back up the save, go to
%AppData% > LocalLow > Amistech(
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Amistechfor Windows) and copy the
My Summer Carfolder to a separate folder.
- To restore a save, copy and paste the backed up
My Summer Carfolder back to the
%AppData% > LocalLow > Amistechfolder.
Making multiple savesEdit
Although the game only has one save slot, multiple saves can be manually created and managed with the backup method above. Another method of having multiple saves is to simply rename the
My Summer Car folder to something descriptive, such as
My Summer Car permadeath on. The saves can be swapped by renaming the current save to something else, then renaming the desired save back to
My Summer Car.